It’s November and, to AIGA upstate NYers, that means cocktail meetup month. Hang out with some of the Iron Design folks, along with many other local creatives and craftsmen/women, cheers to the inauguration of your favorite 2016 presidential nominee (or drink away your sorrows at a bitter next four years), talk geeky typography, and make new connections. All good fun. See you there!
Here are the details.
Iron Junior Designer
WHO WE ARE We are a small, award-winning design agency in Ithaca, NY. We charge ourselves with the responsibility of developing, advancing, and evolving the wide variety of brands within the Finger Lakes Region and beyond. We are problem solvers expressing solutions through creativity. We believe building a brand requires an understanding of it’s core values and goals, then conveying that with a creative visual system.
Our area’s diverse, entrepreneurial economy allows us to collaborate with an incredible variety of clientele. We assist universities and craft brewers, non-profits, and tech companies, initiatives, startups and more. Specifically, many of our client’s brands necessitate beautiful identities and functional websites, user-oriented packaging, interactive ads, graphics and commercials, and a host of other creative constituents.
WHAT WE WANT We are seeking a passionate junior designer to extend our small team’s talent and grow with our company. Our workflow is fast and we will expect our junior designer to prioritize effectively. You can expect to touch on 2-7 projects any given day. This position is a part-time commitment with the opportunity to become full-time later in the year.
Our process is as immersive as you make it. We are seeking a designer who drools during the research and discovery phase, who thinks from different points of view, and who still believes in the power of the sketch book and pushing past your first, second, and third idea. We expect you to understand what a brand is beyond it’s logo and mission statement.
REQUIREMENTS Various skills, qualities, and talents will be necessary to this position.
- bachelors degree in a graphic, new media, or closely-related design field
- minimum of 2 years experience in the professional design industry
- proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, After Effects (Adobe Incopy, and Dreamweaver are a plus)
- ability to commit 24 hours per week
- logo design
- packaging design
- responsive web design
- interactive media
- professional writing skills both on the creative writing front and for work communication
- the desire for continued learning in up-to-date design trends and digital technology
- time management
- reliability as an employee
- eagerness to participate in critiques and accept constructive criticism
- solid understanding of print vs. digital design production
- strong affection for typography
- good communication and inter-personal skills; displays a positive attitude
- ability to work well under pressure
- passion for all things art, design, technology and culture-related is a plus
- involvement in a design-related organization (i.e. AIGA) is a plus
TO APPLY Please submit a resume and an online portfolio url, or digital pdf portfolio that includes 5-10 pieces of your best work to email@example.com. A follow-up interview will be mandatory to finalize the process (preferably in person interviews).